Friday, August 21, 2009

Don't Know What You've Got 'Til It's Gone!

Well, the week of pretending we're vegetarians has come to an end. And it ended at lunch today with a humongous tuna sandwich. While we enjoyed all the vegetarian meals we tried this week, we were both happy to become carnivores again! Don't get me wrong, I could do it, if I had to, but I don't, so I won't. Welcome back, meat. You've been missed.

We finished up our vegetarian week with a delicious dinner of spaghetti squash and eggplant parmasean. Neither of us has ever cooked spaghetti squash before, but quickly learned it's easy, as most squash is. Simply cut it in half, gut it, place it face down in a dish and cook it at about 375 for about 30 minutes. Once you can stick a knife in it easily, it's done! Take it out of the oven and scrape it top to bottom to get a stringy mess of squash.





The eggplant was easy, too. Peal it, slice it, bread it, bake it. We breaded it in an egg and some italian breadcrumbs, placed it in a pan with marinara sauce and mozzerella cheese and baked it for about 30 minutes at 375. So easy!!




We had it with a bit of our leftover cheddar jalapeno bread. What a great ending to
vegetarian week!


This morning for breakfast I finished off the last of our pint of blueberries, using them to top my new favorite cereal. More Big Lots discount priced Kashi - this time one of the GoLean flavors, I believe Honey Almond Flax Crunch (I think, I'm not 100% sure of that title!). It's the best yet!



Lunch was a tuna, lettuce and tomato sandwich, with cantaloupe and cherries, and Full Circle ginger cookies for dessert. No pic - I ate it too fast!

Finally, dinner...after being SO good all week, and not even having red meat in nearly a month or so, we decided on cheeseburgers tonight. I swear it was the best cheeseburger EVER. Burgers on an onion roll, topped with good ol' American processed cheese, mushrooms, onions, tomato, spinach and mayo. YUMMMMM!!

So yeah, we strayed a little from our path tonight, but it was SO worth it. And surprisingly, I'm not even feeling yucky like I expected to!

After dinner we started preparing for the big party tomorrow. It's Lucas's birthday, and we're having a bunch of friends over to make seafood steampots and hang in the backyard. I made some veggie dip and chopped up veggies, and Lucas made a batch of almost-famous salsa.

Salsa fixins:


Once the cooking was done and the cleaning was complete, we settled into bed for some websurfing and old Criminal Minds episodes. Drinking Game Alert: Watch Criminal Minds and drink every time they say "unsub". You'd be surprised!! NOT that we're doing that tonight! Actually, tonight we opted for Full Circle Organic Chocolate Soy Milk and Full Circle Ginger Cookies. DOUBLE YUM!



So the night is over, and once again I'm skipping the sit-ups. Bad, bad girl. But I'm sleepy, and I think it's time to follow Chuck's lead. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment