Monday, August 24, 2009

Don't do what I did....

Right after work tonight we needed to do our grocery shopping. We had done some over the weekend, but it was mostly for the party. I love when our grocery bags look like this on the inside!


And I especially love when it looks like this on the outside! I got this reusable bag at the Disney Store, for something like $1.50. It's my favorite!

A week or so ago we saw an episode of Good Eats that was all about leeks. I really had no idea what a leek was, but Alton Brown can make anything look like something you want to run out and buy, so we did. As a refresher course we watched it again while prepping dinner. You can watch the episode here.


Is it weird that I think leeks are pretty cool looking?


We grilled and braised the leeks, as instructed in the Good Eats episode, and they were SO good. They didn't come out as pretty as Mr. Brown's, but that's because knives and I don't always agree. Make sure to cut the leek right down the middle (not all crooked, like I did) and it will stay together better on the grill. Doesn't change the taste though! Oniony, but not so much, kinda sweet, so good. YUM!


We found some catfish chunks on sale at Bilo for $2.00. We got two packs, for some reason, probably because I shouldn't shop when I'm hungry. I've never cooked catfish before. We breaded them with italian bread crumbs, ground mustard, celery seed and red pepper and pan-fried them with some olive oil. MORE YUM!!
We had some farmer's market green beans that NEEDED to be used up. We also had been thinking about mashed cauliflower for awhile. We didn't use fresh, but the frozen tasted just as good. Boil the cauliflower, add a tbsp of butter, 1/4 cup or so of milk, a handful of swiss cheese, salt and pepper and throw it in the food processor until it's the consistency you want. DO NOT try to use an electric mixer (like I did) or you WILL get cauliflower flying about the kitchen (like I did). Food processor is best.

We topped it with some of our new favorite all purpose dill dip. It's good for really anything. Of course, you need to make sure that you do not mix up the lids from the parsley jar and dill jar (like I did) or your dip will not have much flavor. Thankfully I figured out the problem, and added more dill to fix it.

Finished product:

The above picture was my attempt and making a pretty looking layered appetizer...leek, cauliflower, catfish and dill dip. It didn't look pretty, but it tasted awesome!

So, as a wrap DO what I did, and try this awesome meal, but DON'T mess up the process nearly every step of the way!! In the end it all worked out, so it's ok!

Good night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment