Monday, August 10, 2009

A Busy Weekend!

Wow, we did A LOT this weekend!! Friday night was spent quietly in front of the tv. Neither of us really felt like cooking, so we ran and got some Chinese and watched a couple of movies. First up was The Soloist. It was a really interesting movie, and in several spots had me inspired to want to do something for the homeless, or just people in general. As a result, on Saturday morning we decided to make sure that the organizers of our favorite local charity, Feed-A-Family, were aware that we want to be completely involved in their work this year and do anything we can. We then watched the new Terminator movie, and I stayed awake through most of it, which is not a small feat for me that late at night!

Saturday morning we got up and planned our shopping trips for the day. We ended up hitting 4 stores - the Farmer's Market, Lowes Foods, Bilo and Food Lion. It was well worth all the stops. We got a GIANT bag of veggies at the farmer's market for $13. At Lowes, we found more reasons to love the store. On top of the great sales that we got again (organic milk for $2.99, down from %5.69!), the clerk we had went out of her way to help us when we had issues with our discount card. Also, they don't ever try to bag the milk there! Seems like a small thing, but I hate always having to tell the bagger not to bag the milk - it's such a waste of a bag. During the trip to Bilo, we learned that if you bring your own bags (which we actually remembered, for once) they give you a 5 cent discount from your bill for each bag. We only had two left once we got there, but I'm just excited that the incentive is offered. Score one for Bilo! Eventually I will get around to reviewing that store, also. I just haven't had time yet!

Saturday afternoon was a cooking marathon! We had family coming in that was very interested in what and how we've been eating, so we wanted to give them a real taste of it all. We made our homemade white bbq sauce to grill with the chicken. We had made hummus earlier in the week, and also made a batch of guacamole, and a batch of dill dip out of sour cream, mayo, dill weed and a few other spices. I think it's our new favorite dip!! After that it was apple coleslaw. I planned to get a lot more done, but my feet were killing me! I threw together some spanish rice for dinner, then we played some trivial pursuit and poker with Katie and Ryan.

Sunday morning we got up and started all over again. Watermelon rind was sliced and soaked to start the watermelon rind pickles. I meant to get them canned tonight, but forgot to stop and get the sugar. I mixed up some egg salad for the week, to get rid of the boiled eggs in the fridge. I threw together a pistachio pudding pie, with graham cracker crust (all sugar-free) for Lucas. The pudding isn't the most ideal dessert, but I wasn't up for making anything too involved after the rest of the cooking. Friends and family came, we ate the appetizers and dips and eventually it was time to cook the dinner. Lucas grilled the chicken, while I made the zucchini cakes - which were a HIT with everyone! Sunday night ended with True Blood and some Full Circle All Natural potato chips, with the sour cream dip, and one exhausted me.

So, not a lot of pictures, sorry for that! I'm really going to try to be better this week and get back into the groove of blogging! I have a couple of good posts to write, I just need time to form the thoughts.

Headed to sleep now, have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment