Thursday, September 10, 2009

Tofu!!

We've been talking about trying tofu ever since our vegetarian week, and finally got up the nerve to buy some this last week. We kept finding other things to eat, but realized last night that today was the expiration date on the package that we bought, so gave in and decided to give it a try. When we first opened it, it didn't look like the most appetizing thing we'd ever eaten.

We drained it and got as much moisture off as we could, and the diced it up, along with some veggies.

After Lucas announced on twitter that this was what was for dinner, we got a reply from Paul, of The Baker's Dog, saying that people tend to cook it in chunks that are too big....so I diced it even smaller, just to be safe!

It looks like a sponge. I really wasn't expecting good things to come from this.

My happy husband cooking up our meal:

After adding veggies and veggie stock: baby bella mushrooms, brussel sprouts, brocolli, red pepper and onion. The recipe I was following didn't make much sense to me. It called for chicken broth. If you eat chicken, why would you be making a tofu stir fry, instead of chicken stir fry? I mean, I eat chicken, but not with tofu...get my point? Anyway, I happened to have a carton of vegetable stock in the fridge, and used that instead.


Next step is more veggie stock, mixed with teriyaki or stir fry sauce and a little corn starch. Look how thick the sauce got - pretty quickly, too!


I borrowed some Bragg's Aminos from the office for Lucas to try. We noticed that some of the soy sauce we had been eating has corn syrup in it, so I keep meaning to buy some of this at Natural Foods. We also realized that there's less sodium in this, while tasting really salty, and that would be better for us, considering we tend to overdo it on the salt sometimes.


The finished product:

This may be the best food picture I've posted on here!


End result of our experiment - it was absolutely delicious!! We'll definitely be making tofu a semi-regular part of our menu!

Off to watch the last 2 minutes of the game!!! Good night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment