Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Banana Jam

I tried a new experiment on Sunday. I came across a blog that talked about banana jam, as in something to spread on your peanut butter sandwich. It sounded great, but was loaded with sugar, which Lucas can't eat, so I wasn't sure if I'd make it. I saved the blog page, and couldn't get the idea out of my mind. Finally I decided to do it, but do it my way.

Banana Jam Recipe
Ingredients
  • juice of one lime
  • 3 1/2 very ripe bananas
  • 3/4 cup of honey
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon

Lightly mash the bananas in a bowl and mix in the lime juice.

Pour the water and honey in a pot and bring to a boil, while stirring.

Add banana mixture and cinnamon and boil over low heat for about 30 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. The mixture will thicken as it cooks.

The jam is done when a spoon scraped across bottom of pan leaves a track that closes slowly.

Once you’re done, spoon the jam into hot sterilized jars and seal.

So I made it, and sealed it, and put it in the fridge.

Tonight after dinner we decided to try it out, hoping for the best. When I jarred the jam, it was still a bit runny, so I wasn't sure what we were going to get. What we got was such sweet, banana-y goodness, I couldn't believe it! If you've ever had banana baby food - which is AWESOME - this is alot like it, but with more texture.


We made some sandwiches out of whole wheat bread, Jif All Natural Peanut Butter, and banana jam. YUM!!!!








I imagine that this would be great on pancakes, or in oatmeal, or on top of chocolate ice cream. Hmmmm, we have some - maybe I'll go try it now!

Good night!!
If you're interested in the sugar recipe, you can find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment