Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Eating Up All the Berries!

As I mentioned, we got a great deal on blackberries and raspberries the other day at Lowes Foods. They had 6 oz packages on sale 5 for $5. We had to pick them up after the sale, on a rain check, because it was such a great deal and they couldn't keep them in stock. We had lots, and have been picking at them all week, but today was about the last day we were going to be able to eat them before they all went bad. So this morning, for breakfast, I took a handful and ate it with my Stonyfield Organic Yogurt, which was also on sale at Lowes this week - 49 cents each!!


My mid-morning snack was some delicious banana jam and peanut butter on crackers. I brought it in to share with the office, and couldn't stay out of it!


After work we all headed out to the garden and got quite the harvest today! Lots of jalapenos, green bell peppers and some tomatoes. One of the tomatoes may be too green to have brought in, but when I grabbed it to look at it, it came right off in my hand!


Dinner was some stuffed zuchinni, and stuffed pepper for Nathan, since I can't get him to eat zucchini yet. While that was making, I decided to use up the berries in a cobbler. I had about 1/2 a cup of buttermilk left in the fridge that I had intended to make buttermilk biscuits with, and decided to make a biscuit topping for the cobbler with it instead. I surfed around online for a bit to try to find a recipe to use, but couldn't find one that I liked - one that didn't have sugar. So...I made one up!! I love that I'm getting confident enough with the cooking and the way things go together that I can make my own recipes!!

First I picked through all the berries, put them in the dish I was baking in, and mixed them with some honey and lemon. They looked like this:

So juicy and gooey, already!! I mixed the biscuit topping, put it on the fruit, and tossed it in the oven. After a little bit I checked the oven to see how it was coming, and was so excited to see the juicy berries oozing out over the biscuit!!

And here's the finished product!


We put it on some Breyer's All Natural Vanilla while it was still warm. I made Lucas try it first, since I was nervous about it being good. He's my guinea pig around the house!! He loved it, and we shared this bowl full, though I will admit I ate most of it!


Here's the recipe! ENJOY!!!

Fresh Berry Cobbler

For the biscuit topping:

1 1/3 c. sifted flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/3 c. shortening
1/2 c. buttermilk

1/2 c. milk

1 egg, beaten

Combine all dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until ingredients resemble coarse crumbs. Add egg, buttermilk and milk all at once. Stir quickly with fork only until dough follows fork around bowl.

For the fruit:

3 – 6 oz. Packages of fresh berries – blackberries, raspberries, blueberries or strawberries

½ cup honey

3 tbsp lemon juice

Mix berries, honey and lemon juice in a small casserole dish. Drop biscuit mix by spoonfuls on top of the berry mixture to cover. Bake in a 400° oven for 35 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Really cool blog you guys!! I'll have to keep checking it out :)

    Corissa B.

    ReplyDelete