Monday, July 20, 2009

Squash bugs, sit-ups and new music!

I was thinking that maybe anyone reading this may not want to read ONLY about what we're eating. Since this blog is about the "newlyweds learning about life, love and happiness", I thought I'd add a little variety about life today.

One of the things we've learned about gardening this year, is that there are LOTS of different bugs that are specific to the plants they attack, that we had no idea existed. Our cabbage, beans, peas and squash were ravaged by pests before we could figure out what to do about them. A few weeks after the attacks started, we found this organic pesticide recipe online. It did the trick with getting rid of the bugs on the cabbage and beans, but not soon enough. We only have one cabbage plant that may or may not still make it. The jury is still out on the beans. There's lots of new growth, and not a bug to be found, but not much going on with them, either. The pests on the peas were just discovered yesterday, so we haven't done much with them yet. We totally lost the squash though. However, I came across some ideas here for getting rid of the squash bugs. I can't wait until next year to try the ideas!

On another subject, Lucas has been kicking some butt with this new push-ups challenge he's doing. He's up to 40 a day now. I keep talking about doing the sit-up challenge, but haven't done it yet. I think tonight I need to give it a shot! I'd love to have the ambition to start running, or at least walking, but I just can't get myself to do it! Lucas has inspired me to start the sit-ups though...so I'll get moving on it!

Finally, I just want to introduce one of my favorite new artists! Ladies and Gentleman, I give you Ray LaMontagne!

No comments:

Post a Comment