Friday, July 31, 2009

Foods that are Super!

One of the things I'm learning more about these days is superfoods. Wikipedia defines Superfood as "a term sometimes used to describe food with high phytonutrient content that some may believe confers health benefits as a result". Different websites have slightly different lists of what are considered superfoods, and I'll let you research that yourself, but here is the list I've put together:

  • apples
  • avacado
  • beans
  • blueberries
  • broccoli
  • brown rice
  • butternut squash
  • cinnamon
  • dark chocolate
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • garlic
  • honey
  • kiwi
  • oats
  • onions
  • oranges
  • pomegranate
  • pumpkin
  • wild salmon
  • soy
  • spinach
  • sweet potatoes
  • tea
  • tomatoes
  • turkey breast
  • walnuts
  • yogurt
Wow, that's a long list. Yesterday, I printed it and put it right on the fridge, so I can always be aware of what I need to be eating a little of as much as possible. I've been eating some of these foods right along, without realizing the great benefits of the foods. The other morning I made a breakfast of pomegranate blueberry yogurt with oats mixed in, and a glass of pomegranate blueberry juice to go with it. This was before I even knew that all four were on the list!



This is one of my lunches I had during the week. It was more of that yummy Earthgrains bread with some cucumber (from the garden!), mayo and turkey and a side of apple and grapes. It was delicious!


Today, I had LOTS of superfoods on my menu! After a breakfast of my now typical microwaved eggs and toast, I made a lunch of brown rice, with some steamed veggies, including broccoli, and mixed in some cheese and some homemade salsa, which of course, was made with tomatoes. After lunch I had a couple of pieces of dark chocolate, which normally I would consider cheating but HA! It's on the list!! Tonight for dinner we made some thin steaks, stuffed with spinach, garlic, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, portobello mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, and broiled in the oven for a few minutes. We had a side of some red skinned mashed potatoes, and left over spinach mix.





We pretty much hit the superfoods jackpot with that dinner!!

Tomorrow we have plans to hit the farmers market, the big Lowes Foods shopping trip, then hopefully the BEACH!! Cross your fingers for some sun!! Off to watch a movie and cuddle with the hubby! Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment