Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Perfect Saturday

Saturday was spent mostly doing nothing, which made it perfect. We woke up VERY late, laid around, and eventually started planning this weeks menu and grocery list. I love that it's becoming a project for us - finding new recipes, trying our best to buy all natural. This week, more than half of the list was from the produce department. The rest was dairy, breads and just a couple of things in between. When I got home to put groceries away, the only thing that went in the cupboard was the popcorn! Everything else was fresh and to be kept in the fridge. For the first time, all the veggies and fruit didn't fit in the crisper, so now the shelves are overflowing with it! When we got home we went to check out the garden, which is becoming jungle like! The watermelon is literally taking over the whole right side.



The tomato plants are taller than me, but have yet to produce even one tomato!



Our compost pile is probably the prettiest, most useful compost pile ever! We have pretty purple flowers growing out of it, and some kind of vegetable plant, that's even blooming. I'm assuming its from the seed of something we threw away in there, but I'm not sure yet what it is. The leaves don't match any of the plants currently in my real garden, so I guess we'll just wait to see what it produces.



The compost part is definitely working though! That soil is probably better for whatever is growing in it than what's in the garden, which is very sandy. I'll be thrilled to use the compost on next year's garden!

We ate pretty well all day. Lucas had a bagel for breakfast, and I made some scrambled eggs with tomato and some Hormel All Natural salami mixed in. I made a batch of fresh apple carrot juice and it was delicious! Lunch was a turkey, lettuce, mayo sandwich and some pretzels. Then there was dinner. We planned to make a White Pizza, NYC style. First thing I learned last night was that I need to ALWAYS read the recipe before I try to make it. I had no idea that the dough was supposed to set overnight. We went ahead and used one of the balls anyway, and hoped for the best. Rather than just a plain cheese pizza as the recipe calls for, we added: roasted red peppers, portabello mushrooms, chicken, broccoli, black olives and a banana pepper from our garden.


The picture just doesn't do it justice. It was one of the best meals I've ever made!! We're going to play with the recipe for next time - a little less ricotta and a little more mozzarella and spice.

Well, off to start the day. Today is exactly one year from the day we met, and we plan to have a couple of drinks with friends this afternoon at the place we met. Other than that, housecleaning, some fresh lemonade and a (hopefully) delicious loaf of banana blueberry bread are on the schedule!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment